All four walls are not built. We used 2x6 for the header of the doorway. Im thinking that maybe we should have gone with 2x8 for such a span but I think for this application 2x6 will get the job done safely. Next steps are to prep for siding and frame out the roof. We also need to purchase some windows.
The days are getting shorter and colder so the clock is ticking on this project. I hope we can get the roof finished fairly quickly. The engineering of the roof will be our biggest challenge.
Using a calculator I found more exact dimensions of the roof and its slope.
We built the walls and put cheaper siding on the wall facing the garage. For the other 3 walls we plan to go with something a little more premium. We have an air compressor and nail gun but I wanted to give it a shot with the old hammer and nail. Its not as fast, but also not so bad. One downside was the noise from pounding the nails was greatly amplified by the garage right behind us. Ear protection was a must, my ears were ringing after just a few studs without them.
As it turns out I screwed up the spacing of the studs in this first wall I did. I must have spaced out and ended up setting them at something like 16 and 3/4. Luckily its just a shed and shouldn’t effect anything too much. We added another stud in the wall to make sure we could mount our 4x8 siding panels.
The cheap siding is this prefabricated particle board with grooves to imitate plank siding. We only have one seam that doesn’t overlap and that is the one where they fall on the stud in the middle for hanging. The siding is pretty cool stuff, if this were any other shed I would use it all over.
I don’t know why but we wasted a good 15 minutes scratching our heads on laying out the studs exactly 16 inches on center. After screwing up the first wall we wanted to make damn sure that we got it right this time. We did.
My old man has been coming over to give me a hand with this build. We definitely needed 2 people to lift the wall up and into place. Once it was upright we used a spare 2x4 as a brace with a couple of nails tacked to it. Without it, a fairly good gust of wind and this thing would fall right over at this point in the build. It’s fall and we typically get quite a bit of wind around here during this time of the year.
At this point I am starting to wonder if I should have dug down into the ground a bit. The shed is sitting pretty high up after the gravel base and skids. Originally I was worried about getting it level after digging down. As it turns out the floor has been perfectly level throughout the build.
The third wall went together the fastest. I guess that shouldn’t be a big surprise. The three walls were all for day 3. It was a beautiful day probably the last day we will have this year in the high 70s.
Above all else, working on a project like this with my old man warms my heart the most. Its these memories that ill have forever.
I had originally planned on using pressure treated plywood for the floor but the wood we ordered was far too thin and full of knots. It also was maybe a little over kill. I went and bought some new 3/4 inch plywood that was not pressure treated but much better quality.
I used 12 foot 4x4 pressure treated lumber for the skids that will make up my foundation on the leveled gravel base. The frame and joists are made up of 2x6 pressure treated lumber. I used 4 long lug bolts to attach the outside floor frame to the outer most skids. I then toenailed the joist to the skids in the middle.
Nailing joist for the floor
Seven months after we purchased our 5 bedroom, 2000 square foot house on just over half an acre I have started to build a shed to store more stuff. We don’t have an issue with hoarding or anything like that. There just isn’t very much storage space in our home. Each of the 5 bedrooms only has about 5 to 6 square feet of closet space. With minimal closet space like that and large boxes of holiday decorations or seasonal clothing the struggle for more storage is very real.
There are plenty of prebuilt or simple do it yourself sheds out there that you can scoop up for anything from a couple hundred to couple thousand dollars. I wanted something a little more than what these mass produced sheds could offer. With over half an acre to mow and maintain I recently purchased a riding lawnmower, which needs a place to be stored that is not in the elements. I also need a space that I can work on small projects like woodworking.
I decided that the only way I could get everything I wanted in a shed without spending an obscene amount of money was to build my own. Here is the list of requirements for my shed.
- Must be large but under the county limit before inspections are required. 10 x 12 is what I went with.
- Must have an indoor ceiling height of 9 feet.
- Must have natural daylight (windows)
- Craftsman Style
- The main entry must be wide enough for a riding lawn mower.
It was easy enough to determine the foot print for this thing. I cleared a large bush that sat behind the garage and ordered two and half tons of 3/4 inch bluestone to make my foundation.
The Sun arcs along the the peak of the house from side to side and slightly more on the front than in the back. Since the shed is behind the garage I want to have the roof slant in one direction away from the house. This will accomplish two things. One, the rain will run away from the house. Two, I can build the peak of the roof slightly higher than the bottom of the garage’s roof allowing daylight to shine in through a couple of high mounted windows.